Oils and fats used in daily diet are main and backup sources of energy for our body. We need energy to perform all physical activities and maintain important body functions (heart rate, breathing and other chemical processes in cells and tissue). 1 mg of fat from food provides the energy of 9 kcal (37 kJ). In addition to energy, fats and oils have other major roles in our body
- Ensuring normal operation of our body
- Participating in construction and maintenance of cell structure
- Serving in synthesis of antibodies and some hormones
- Serving as a source of heat and protecting the body from extreme temperatures
- Allowing the absorption of substances that are soluble in fat, especially vitamins A, D, and K
- Providing a source of polyunsaturated fatty acids – essential fatty acids which the organism cannot produce by itself, but must be ingested with food.
The first drops of edible oil and industrial oil produced in Croatia pooled in a wooden barrel back in 1916 in Palmotićeva Street 82 in Zagreb. These were „ancestral drops“ of today’s famous Zvijezda oil. Zvijezda is the largest producer of edible oils and the only manufacturer of margarine and mayonnaise, as well as mayonnaise-based gourmet products. Always following the latest global and scientific trends, Zvijezda has incorporated two basic principles in its products: high quality and a constant concern for health and healthy nutrition.
A selection process of vegetable fats and their enrichment with other nutritionally valuable ingredients make Zvijezda products a desirable part of our daily menu.
The most valuable vegetable oils are those containing polyunsaturated fatty acids, which help lower blood cholesterol, found in sunflower and soy oils, and monounsaturated fatty acids found in rapeseed and olive oil.